Indian Railways have launched a smart card that could be used to buy unreserved tickets, reserved tickets, and platform tickets. It is a digital smartcard that is very similar to what the metro system in the country offers. It is also connected using an app ecosystem that enables you to utilize smart card services online as well.
This smart card is still in the pilot phase and the issuing of these cards is limited to 12 railways stations throughout the country. You can get the smart card from the counter of the railway station easily just like metro cards and the recharge of these cards can be done online as well as from the Automatic Ticket Vending machine placed in the railway stations. In this article, we will discuss everything about Smart Cards and how you can use them.
Features of Indian Railways Smart Card
The following are the uses of Go-India Smart Cards-
- The smart card can be very handy while traveling. You do not have to wait in a queue to get a ticket rather you can directly scan your card and it’ll automatically charge you for your journey.
- You can recharge your card from anywhere online and it is yet another amazing feature that can come in very handy.
- You can get a secure journey because earlier paper tickets used to get lost or can be torn off very easily but with the smart card, you can easily carry it in your wallet.
- You can recharge the card in multiple of Rs.50/- and the maximum amount that you can recharge on a smart card is Rs.10,000/-
- With growing global warming, ticket paper is very beneficial for the environment
- Indian railways will soon expand the smart card outreach to other zones as well which will futurize the railways and help the citizen to reach their destination faster.
How to Recharge Go-India Smart Card?
One of the amazing features that Go-India Smart Card offers is the ability to do online recharge from anywhere using the online portal. Indian railways created a dedicated portal for the user to recharge their smart card. The following are the step-by-step process of recharging Go-India Smart Card online-
- Visit the official website of Go-India Smart Card Recharge by clicking here- www.utsonmobile.indianrail.gov.in
- Here, the user has to register his/her smart card by clicking on the sign-up button
- A form will appear, fill the form and click on generate OTP
- Check your SMS, there you’ll find an OTP number. Insert the OTP number and click on the signup button
- Now, you have registered the smart card, just log in using your login-ID and password
- Once logged in, click on the smart car Recharge button
- Enter the amount you want to recharge the card with followed by choosing the payment method. Make sure the amount is in multiple of 50/-
- Now, you can pay the amount using a credit/debit card, UPI, net banking, etc.
- After a successful payment, you’ll have to visit the ATVM machine located in the railway station
- Use the dedicated smart card recharge scanner to scan your card, the system will automatically scan the card and top-up with the amount you have paid for.