Andaman Nicobar Bank Holidays 2023
Andaman Nicobar has 16 bank holidays in the year 2023 excluding the second/fourth Saturday and Sundays. Below is the the month-wise 2023 bank holidays list in Andaman Nicobar.
|DATE||REASON / REMARKS|
|January 26, Thursday, 2023||Republic Day|
|February 10, Friday, 2023||Gandhi Jayanti|
|March 30, Thursday, 2023||Ram Navami|
|April 22, Saturday, 2023||Idul Fitr|
|May 5, Friday, 2023||Buddha Purnima|
|June 29, Thursday, 2023||Bakrid / Eid al Adha (date may vary)|
|July 4, Tuesday, 2023||Good Friday|
|July 9, Sunday, 2023||Janmashtami|
|July 19, Wednesday, 2023||Muharram|
|August 3, Thursday, 2023||Holi|
|August 15, Tuesday, 2023||Independence Day|
|September 28, Thursday, 2023||Eid e Milad|
|October 24, Tuesday, 2023||Vijaya Dashami|
|November 27, Monday, 2023||Guru Nanak Jayanti|
|December 11, Monday, 2023||Diwali|
|December 25, Monday, 2023||Christmas Day|
FAQs on Andaman Nicobar Bank Holidays 2023
More About Andaman Nicobar Holidays 2023
Andaman Nicobar is one of the union territories in India. This union territory comprises of as many as 570+ islands and 37 of which are occupied by people at Bay of Bengal and Andaman Sea. The territory is scattered around 150 km in Indonesia, Thailand and Myanmar by the Sea of Andaman. It has two groups of islands-The Andaman Islands and Nicobar Islands.
Capital of Andaman and Nicobar
Port Blair is the capital of Andaman and Nicobar Islands. The approximate land area of both the islands is 8,249 km2. The territory is divided in three districts-Nicobar District, South Andaman district, and the North and Middle Andaman district.
The people of Andaman Nicobar Islands follow religions such as Hindus (69.45%), Christians (21.7%) and Muslim (8.51%) minority.
- Agriculture: Agriculture is the main source of Economy. The main food crop is Paddy cultivated in this group of islands. Amongst the cash crops, coconut and arecanut are produced. The field crops such as pulses, oilseeds and vegetables are grown in Rabi season. Various kinds of fruits are also grown here including mango, sapota, orange, banana, papaya, and pineapple. Some of the popular spices such as pepper, clove, nutmeg, and cinnamon are also grown here. Rubber, red oil, palm, noni and cashew are some of the essentialities grown here.
- Industry: Small-Scale industry pattern is prevalent in Andaman Nicobar. It includes handicraft and fish processing activity. Besides this, shells and wood-based handicraft units are also known all over. It also includes four medium-sized industrial units, SSI units, PVC conduit pipes, fittings, paints and varnishes, fiberglass and mini flour mills, soft drinks, and beverages, etc. Small scale and handicraft units also involve shell crafts, furniture making, bakery products, rice milling, etc.
- In addition to this, these islands offer industries, tourism, fisheries, and industrial financing and has become tourism attraction due to beaches.
- Tourism: Tourism is the main source of economy. It includes various adventure sports such as snorkelling and sea-walking. The Government of Andaman and Nicobar Islands has developed NITI (National Institute of Transforming India) Aayog. For the purpose of tourism, various Luxury resorts are also set up in Avis Island, Smith Island and Long Island.
Culture and Heritage
- Food and Culture: The people of Andaman and Nicobar Islands are dependent on sea food for their livelihood. Most of the preparations are made from prawns, fish etc. Most of the culinary are prepared from fruits as well.
- Traditional Dress: Many people from Andaman and Nicobar Islands do not wear any dress and they move naked in the islands. This is because of their detachment from the civilized world.
- Lifestyle: Almost all people in Andaman Nicobar are nomadic hunter-gatherers, hunting wild pig and monitor lizard, catching fish with bows and arrows. Besides this, they also collect berries, roots, and honey from the forest. It is believed that “Mongoloid” tribes came to the islands from the Malay-Burma several years ago.
- Language: People mostly speak Hindi, Bengali, Tamil, Telugu, and Malayalam in A & I islands.
- Fruits Grown: Many fruits are grown in here and the most popular ones are Baccaurea sapida, elephant apple, kewra or Nicobar bread fruit modhuphall, bakul, wild ber, wild lemon, wild jamun, and wild rose apple.
- Famous Food Items: The food items eaten here includes Fish Curry, Amritsari Kulcha, Chilli Curry, Macher Jhol, Coconut prawn curry, Barbeques, Tandoori Fish, and Grilled Lobsters
Places to Visit in Andaman Nicobar
It is one of the most visited places in India. However, tourists from different parts of the world prefer enjoying this place and spend time with family and friends. Here are some famous spots to visit here:
- Cinque Island: Dive into the sparkling water and explore the underwater world at Cinque Island.
- Cellular Jail: It allows you to feel the fresh air surrounded the Cellular Jail. You will come to know about the stories of the prisoners mentioned in the history, which is counted under the UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Diglipur Island: Experience the huge number of turtles in this island.
- Japanese Bunkers: It takes you to the history in Port Blair built during the World War 2.
- Radhanagar Beach: It is one of the best beaches in Asia and in Andaman and Nicobar.
- Saddle Peak National Park: This place let you witness the rich biodiversity of Saddle Peak National Park and get the mesmerizing views in your eyes.
Other than the list of places mentioned above, other attractions are
Places to Visit in Andaman Nicobar
Here is the list of places to visit in Andaman Nicobar:
- Mahatma Gandhi Marine National Park
- Andaman Water sports complex
- Chatham Saw Mill
- Mini Zoo
- Corbyn's cove
- Chidiya Tapu
- Wandoor Beach
- Forest Museum
- Anthropological Museum
- Fisheries Museum
- Naval Museum (Samudrika)
- Ross Island and North Bay Island
- Havelock island
- Neil Island for Scuba diving/snorkeling/sea walking
- Mt Harriet
- Mud Volcano
Things to do here!
In addition to visit different spots, you can do the following things here:
- You can engage in water sports by taking Banana Boat Ride, Scuba Diving, Glass Bottom Boat Ride, Parasailing, Sea Plane Ride, Sea walking, and Submarine Ride at North Bay Beach, Neil Island, or Havelock Island.
- Elephant Beach is another destination known for amazing scenic beauty and water sports.
- If you are huge fan of birds, you can visit the Chidiya Tapu as it is the home for birds such as sea eagles, emerald doves, parakeets, etc.
- Mud volcanoes attract the fancy of tourists.
The major airport of Andaman Nicobar Islands is Veer Savarkar International Airport situated in Port Blair. The airport is named after Vinayak Damodar Savarkar, the freedom fighter.
Best Time to Visit
Andaman Nicobar Islands are best to visit in October and May months. Weather is pleasant and perfect for excursion and excursions. Monsoon is not advised to visit the place because of excessive rain and sharp winds.
List of Cities in Andaman Nicobar
The following is the list of cities in Andaman Nicobar-
- North Middle Andaman
- South Andaman
You may also like
Holidays in Other States
- Andhra Pradesh
- Arunachal Pradesh
- Dadra Nagar Haveli Daman Diu
- Himachal Pradesh
- Jammu Kashmir
- Madhya Pradesh
- Tamil Nadu
- Uttar Pradesh
- West Bengal