USSD code stands for Unstructured Supplementary Service Data which is a technology allowing individuals to use their mobile phones for various banking operations like fund transfers, checking account balances, generating bank statements, etc.
India is a country where internet penetration is 43%, and the rest of the population still does not have internet access.
For general Indians, the nearest connection to the internet is their smartphone, and people who do not have smartphones generally are away from the internet as well.
The financial inclusion of the underbanked and economically weaker section of society and their integration into mainstream banking is important so, USSD banking was the answer.
The USSD Banking service is available in 12 languages, including English and other Indian languages such as Hindi, Tamil, Bengali, Kannada, etc. Many banks in India provide you with banking services using USSD Bank in India.
Why USSD Code?
USSD Code does not need the internet to function and works using the phone network. Using these codes, you can make your bank perform certain services which is essential.
You can use the USSD Code for services such as mobile banking, balance inquiries, mobile top-up, and other value-added services.
It is simple and convenient and there is no need to download an application or have access to the internet to use USSD Code. All they need is a mobile phone with a valid SIM card and the ability to send and receive text messages.
USSD messages are sent directly between the user’s phone and the mobile operator’s server, so there is no delay in processing the request. This makes USSD codes a quick and efficient way to access services and information.
What You Can Do with USSD Banking?
The following are the services that you can do using USSD Banking-
- Aadhaar Card
- Account number
- Balance Enquiry
- Mini statement
- OPT generation
- Generation and change of MPIN
How to Send Money Using USSD *99# Using MMID & Mobile Number?
The following are the steps that you should follow to send money using USSD using your MMID and Mobile Number-
- To get started with USSD Banking, you’ll have to register a bank account with a mobile number
- Now, dial in *99# on your mobile number and an interface will open up
How to Send Money Using USSD *99# Using Bank IFSC Code & Account Number?
The following are the steps using which you can follow to send money using the Bank IFSC Code and Account Number-
- Dial in *99# on your registered mobile number and an interface will open up
- In the interface enter 3 letters of your bank short name or the first 4 letters of your Bank IFSC Code or 2-digit bank numeric code followed by clicking on the “Send” button
- You’ll have multiple options designated with numbers, for sending money, you’ll have to choose number 3 and click on the proceed button
- After clicking on the proceed button and choosing the Bank IFSC Code option
- Now, enter the payee/beneficiary’s mobile number and enter the transaction amount
- After entering the transaction amount, enter the MPIN and the last 4 digits of your bank account number
Language Codes for USSD Transfer
The following are the language codes for using the USSD codes-
Yes, it is necessary to get your mobile number registered using the USSD Code.
To find your whether the bank is offering the service or not, then visit the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) website and find out the USSD code list.
No, you do not need an app for using the *99# USSD Code to function.