Voting rights is a basic right that any democracy provides to its citizens. India is a well-known democracy which happens to be the world’s largest democracy as well.
Although, democratic practices in India go back thousands of years, the modern nation of India begin its democratic exercise in 1947 when India got its Independence from the British.
India is a huge country, by population number 1 and by land area number 7. When you have such a huge number of people to serve democratically, you’ll have to have a robust and well-functioning election process.
In India, Elections are looked after by the Election Commission of India (ECI) which is an independent organization responsible to conduct, manage and conclude the election on both state level as well as National Level.
EIC facilities citizens to exercise the voting rights by providing various services like Voter’s card apply, name correction, address change, etc.
In this article, we will discuss How to Change Address in Voter’s ID Card online and offline, documents required and much more.
How to Change Address in Voter’s ID Card?
You can change the address on your Voter’s ID Card both offline and online. The following are the steps that you’ll have to follow to change the address in the Voter’s ID Card-
- Visit the official website of the Election Commission of India and locate the “Voter’s Portal” section
- Now, find Form 8 options that say “Shifting of residence, correction of entries, EPIC replacement, and PWD button marking”
- After clicking on the Form 8 option, you’ll have to login to your account or get yourself registered by clicking on the sign-up button and providing the mobile number, email, etc. details
- After logging in, you’ll have to fill out the form 8 which will be prefilled but few fields will be empty which you’ll have to fill
- Now, Prepare the necessary supporting documents and upload them along with the completed Form 8 followed by clicking on the “Submit” button
- After clicking on the submit button, you’ll receive a reference number, which is essential for tracking your application status.
- Your request will be verified by the election officer and your voter’s ID card will be updated and dispatched to your newly provided address.
- Visit the nearest Election Commission Office and request Form 8 and start filling out the form with details like name, Aadhaar Number, address, area, etc.
- Now, Submit the duly filled form to the Election officer
- After submission, the election officer will process your application and may demand to produce documents in original as well as photocopy
- After that, he/she will provide you with a reference number which is crucial for tracking your application
- After successful verification, a new Voter’s ID card will be issued to you, featuring the updated address
- Additionally, you will receive a notification regarding the inclusion of your name in the electoral roll.
Documents Required for Changing Address in Voter’s ID Card
The following are the documents required for changing the address in the voter’s ID Card-
- A valid proof of address such as a driving license, passport, ration card, etc.
- A valid identity proof such as Aadhaar Card, PAN Card, etc.
- Two latest passport-sized photographs.
- A copy of the existing Voter ID card (both sides).
Any Indian Citizen who is Shifting residence, correcting entries, EPIC replacement, and PWD button marking can apply to the Election Commission through Form 8.
After submitting the form, you’ll receive a reference number which can be used to track your application status. You can use the official Voter’s Portal to track your application status.
Not yet, linking an Aadhaar Card and a Voter’s ID Card is not necessary and is up to the voter whether he/she wants to link an Aadhaar card or not.