The Government has made it mandatory for Individuals to link PAN Card with Aadhaar Card. The deadline for linking PAN and Aadhaar was 30 September 2021 which was further pushed due to pandemic.
Recently, the deadline to link PAN with Aadhaar has been extended by six months to March 31, 2022, from the current deadline of September 30, 2021.
In this column, we will layout different methods using which you can link PAN Card with Aadhaar but, before that let’s check whether our Aadhaar is linked with the PAN Card or not.
Check Aadhaar Linking Status
You can check Aadhaar linking with PAN status using the following steps-
- Visit UTIITSL Aadhaa Linking Status checker by visiting the following link- https://www.pan.utiitsl.com/panaadhaarlink/forms/pan.html/panaadhaar
- Now, enter your PAN Card number followed by Date of Birth and solve the Captcha code
- Now, click on the submit button, your status for linking PAN-Aadhaar Linking status will be displayed
- If it states Aadhaar is already linked to PAN, then you do not need to follow these steps but, if it states Aadhaar is not linked to PAN then you have to link the Aadhaar and PAN.
Link PAN Card with Aadhaar
You can link the Aadhaar card and PAN Card using two methods i.e. Online methods, or using SMS Aadhaar Linking. The following are the method to link Aadhaar card and PAN Card-
Online Aadhaar Linking
You can use two methods to link Aadhaar with PAN Card which is as follows-
With logging in method to link PAN Card with Aadhaar
The following are the steps by step methods to link PAN Card with Aadhaar-
- Visit the official website of Income Tax filling by following this link- https://eportal.incometax.gov.in/
- Now, register or Login (if already registered) into your account using your User ID and Password
- After logging in, navigate to your profile section, and there you’ll find the “Link Aadhaar” button
- Now, your details will be displayed, check the details and provide your Aadhaar Number and name mentioned on the Aadhaar Card followed by checking the “I Agree” box and clicking on “Link Aadhaar”
- Now, a message will be prompted stating Aadhaar card has been successfully linked to your PAN Card
Without logging in method to link PAN Card with Aadhaar
Now, this is a simpler method using which you can directly link your Aadhaar Card and PAN Card online. Just follow these steps and link your PAN Card with Aadhaar-
- Visit the Link Aadhaar portal on the Income Tax Filing portal by following this link- https://eportal.incometax.gov.in/iec/foservices/#/pre-login/bl-link-aadhaar
- Now, provide your PAN Card Number, Aadhaar Card Number followed by mentioning Name on Aadhaar Card and mobile number
- Now, tick the checkboxes followed by clicking on the Link Aadhaar button
- An OTP will be sent to your Registered Mobile Number which you can enter on the verification page followed by clicking on Validate button
- Your PAN Card is now linked with Aadhaar Card
SMS Aadhaar Linking
You can use the SMS linking facility provided by the Income-tax Department to link the PAN Card with Aadhaar. Send an SMS in a pre-defined syntax with your PAN and Aadhaar details. The following are the syntax that you have to use to link PAN Card and Aadhaar-
Send an SMS to 567678 or 56161 from your Registered Mobile Number in this format-UIDPAN<SPACE><12 digit Aadhaar><Space><10 digit PAN>
How to link Aadhaar if there is a mismatch in the Name?
If there is a mismatch in the name or any other details between Aadhaar Card or PAN card then you have to initiate the change details process of either Aadhaar or the PAN card. The data on both documents must be the same.
Can I file ITR if my Aadhaar Card and PAN Card are not linked?
No, linking Aadhaar and PAN card is important to file the ITR. In case you do not have an Aadhaar number then you have to provide the enrollment number.